Tuesday, February 1, 2011

So, the news.

For most people it isn't big, but for me it is.

We are adding to our family.

Not a skin baby. I'm done with that whole thing.

But, a furbaby. A 4-legged, canine offspring.

I am SO excited.

I have long wanted a dog. I grew up with a bazillion of them. Eric did not and has kind of been anti-dog. Not because he doesn't like dogs, but because he didn't want to deal with the responsibility. And, I get that. And that is why we haven't had one.

But, in the last 4 months or so, he has started wanting a dog, so I jumped all over that.

My mom is active in the rescue community and I know how many dogs out there need homes, that are put into rescue (thankfully) instead of just being put to sleep when they are abandoned or abused. So, we are getting a puppy through our local Boxer rescue group. Yep, we are getting a Boxer. :)

Our boxer rescue (check 'em out here) recently helped when a nasty puppy mill was busted. They took 5 Boxers and are giving them a wonderful new life. 2 of the Boxers (a mother and daughter pair, actually) are pregnant and due to have their puppies in the next 2 weeks or so. Since we already have been through the application process and have had our home visit and have been APPROVED!!!, we are at the top of the list, along with a few others, of people that will get the first chance to pick a puppy. The moms and the father (both mother and daughter were impregnated by the same male) are brindle, so chances are we'll get a brindle, although we could get something else.

I'm just so happy. Happy that we will be adding to our family. happy that we could take part in taking another sweet dog that would have been used for breeding his whole life, and putting him somewhere where he will be loved.

PS. His name will be Guster. :)

3 comments:

peppermint said...

awwww, I love Boxers! Congratulations. Now you'll have a running buddy!

Tali said...

I know it! I can't wait until he is old enough to go with me.

Pam said...

Oh Tali, that is wonderful news! Boxer's rock! Best of luck with Guster!